Iguanas love to live freely. They like to stay in large and broad natural surroundings. They prefer to have their abode on the high and dense trees. Iguanas can protect themselves from their foes and predators by hiding on the top of these trees. They are also capable to jump down and climb high for safety from the enemies without injuring themselves. Their lives are in peril these days.
If you love nature and its creatures, you can help to save their species from extinction by saving them from predators. Just think about a couple of iguana as the last pair. It is not very difficult to keep and look after iguana as pets, only thing you have to do is to plan and manage it the correct way. There are a few deliberations.
The most important thing to consider is providing them with a suitable and comfortable place to live. They should be provided a , which has enough space for them to roam about freely same way as in wild.
The following points are important to consider when you construct their dwelling or a cage.
1. Their cage should be large and spacious. You can use a cupboard or a room so that they can easily move around in it. Place some artificial plants and branches to make the proper environment for them like they have in trees. They may like to climb up the branches or hang over them. If the iguana is small, make a proper cage without any holes in, so that they cannot escape out of it. When the iguana grows up, shift them to a larger place or expand the area of their dwelling. It should not be a congested place for them.
2. The air circulation is another important factor. You can choose an inexpensive enclose for them that has proper air circulation for their comfort. It is possible to install a noiseless small fan to maintain the air flow in the enclosure for iguanas. In addition, you should make arrangement to maintain the temperature and humidity in their cage. The mold should not be allowed to grow. If it grows remove it by washing using bleach and wiping out.
3. Maintain the temperature in cage during the night and use heating pads to heat up the enclosure. It is also feasible to use low wattage lamps for getting heat.
4. Iguana will not get settled in their new dwelling easily. It has to get accustomed to the shelter. Initially it may be shocked and start scratching or scraping the walls. It is better if you remain with it initially, until it becomes acquainted to the place and starts feeling homely in that environment.
5. When you install heaters or fans in the compartment, take care about the wires. These should be fixed cautiously and should be out of reach of iguanas. Iguanas are invasive animals and may jump over the wires and equipment, if those are accessible to them.
6. The enclosure should be protected from pest. No left over food should remain there. Proper and regular cleaning is required to avoid any pest.
Making a shelter for iguana is simple and interesting. These guidelines will help you make a perfect shelter for your iguana.